This guide from the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF), MALDEF (Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund), and Asian Americans Advancing Justice | AAJC is aimed at empowering Black, Latino, and Asian American communities, as well as other marginalized communities, to be actively engaged participants in one of the most important, once-a-decade events of American democracy: redistricting.
The coalition's guide provides essential information about the redistricting process, such as examples of recent efforts to dilute the voting power of communities of color. It also details the legal protections that remain available to protect against manipulative redistricting schemes, particularly after the Supreme Court's 2013 ruling in Shelby County, Alabama v. Holder – which removed a safeguard against racially discriminatory redistricting plans in states and jurisdictions with a record of such practices. The guide is bolstered by clear, specific, and actionable steps that members of Latino, Black, and Asian American communities can take to protect against unfair and discriminatory redistricting plans that would serve to diminish their right to equal representation in government and the opportunity to elect candidates of their choice.
- Published by
- Asian Americans Advancing Justice
- Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund
- NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. (LDF)
- Document type
- North America / United States
- Copyright 2021 NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, Inc. Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund Asian Americans Advancing Justice – AAJC